Re: [swish-e] future of swish-e

From: at <Peter>
Date: Mon, 05 May 2014 15:05:15 -0500
On 4/29/14 8:15 AM, Peter Karman wrote:
> On 4/28/14 1:31 PM, Lisa wrote:
>>
>> Peter, Roy, etc
>>
>> 2. Mailing lists: Our environment has mailman and system admin can
>> continue current system of indexing using hypermail
>>
>> 3. Our offer to provide the free hosting is open and/or  if
>> plusthree.com <http://plusthree.com> decides to change policies and
>> start charging  ---then there would be no service interruptions
>>
>> 4.  Re:
>> "The current site has a lot of custom code for generating pages, cron
>> jobs, etc"
>>
>> We can continue that as is so that things continue as is:   Our system
>> admin is familiar with all of the mentioned processes.
>>

>> 5. And maybe another thing to consider is that IMO it is important to
>> have someone be responsible for answering user questions, even if it
>> involves list questions...like how do I join/stop my subscription etc.
>> We helped out another list that needed an admin last year and answer
>> user questions even though instructions are posted online. Sometimes, it
>> just helps (again in my opinion) to have a human that folks can contact
>> with questions. All the automation in the world doesn't help when you
>> have someone that needs a person to help or direct them to the
>> appropriate resource for answers.
>
> All good and valid points, Lisa. Thank you.
>
> I will let this thread germinate for a week, and then summarize what I
> have heard from members of the list.

Thanks to everyone who chimed in on this thread.

Here's what I heard:

* Michael at plusthree.com says they are no longer actively using the
product and would prefer it if someone else took over hosting the project.

* Lisa at HospitalSoup.com has volunteered to take over the hosting.

Unless someone objects, I'm happy to work with Lisa and her folks to
help transition the site to their server.

Thanks, everyone.