Re: [swish-e] SWISH-E Perl Support on Windows

From: at <Kruno>
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2013 21:24:36 +0100
Am 27.02.2013 16:26, schrieb Peter Karman:
> Kruno,
>
> Nothing much has changed since 2009. The chief reason we never released
> a 2.4.8, let alone a 2.6.0, version of swish-e was because there are no
> active developers with sufficient knowledge of Windows to provide a
> Windows build. The wiki[0] that hosted the Windows build documentation
> is now offline and there hasn't been sufficient interest from developers
> with Windows knowledge to resurrect those efforts. There hasn't been a
> meaningful commit to the swish-e svn repository in nearly 3 years[1].

Hm, is there no backup of that Windows build documentation around? It
sure would be handy info for my current problem.

> So as is the case with many open source projects, development withers on
> the vine without new volunteers.
>
> All my efforts in the last 8 years have been toward swish3 and now
> Dezi[2]. I know that libswish3 will not compile on Windows[3] and, as
> with swish-e, since I don't have time or interest in that platform, I
> have no plans to invest effort in that direction.
>
> Sorry to be a downer, but there it is.
>
> It sounds like you've made some good progress with getting swish-e to
> work for you on Windows, and should you care to share your learnings
> with this list, I'm sure others would benefit in the future.

If I manage successes, I will gladly share.

At least for 2.4.7, there seems to be no major problem with compiling
the sources as well as Perl support within cygwin. The missing gcc-4
from my last mail is easily resolved by adding the cygwin gcc4 package
and with those requirements met, the standard Linux install appears to
just work so far.

I have started an attempt to compile the Perl modules for ActiveState
Perl 5.16.2. So far I installed the dmake module of ActiveState via ppm,
providing dmake.exe. To use the gcc.exe provided by cygwin I had to
replace the link with a copy of the gcc-4.exe it linked to, as Windows
cannot follow the cygwin link.

Currently I need a suitable swish-setup file to continue compiling the
module, maybe I will get to that tomorrow. I haven't lost hope yet, at
any rate ;)

Best
   Kruno