Re: [swish-e] SWISH-E Perl Support on Windows

From: at <Peter>
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2013 09:26:24 -0600
On 2/27/13 4:45 AM, Kruno Sever wrote:
> Am 26.02.2013 19:15, schrieb Peter Karman:
>> On 2/26/13 4:51 AM, Kruno Sever wrote:
>>
>>> Is there a specific reason why Perl 5.8 is apparently required? It seems
>>> a little strange to me that there should be a problem with newer Perl
>>> versions.
>>>

>> The distributed Windows Perl binary is compiled XS/C against a
>> particular version of Perl. Perl 5.8 and 5.10 are not binary compatible,
>> so if you want to use a newer version of Perl than what was used in
>> building the Windows binaries, you'll need to compile your own.
>
> Thanks for the quick reply. Is there a list of instructions available to
> achieve this?
>
> By searching for compiling instructions for Windows, I did find a post
> by you from 2009 for this problem, though you just mention that staying
> with Perl 5.8 is "definitely easier". Since that was 4 years ago,
> perhaps it got easier?

Kruno,

Nothing much has changed since 2009. The chief reason we never released
a 2.4.8, let alone a 2.6.0, version of swish-e was because there are no
active developers with sufficient knowledge of Windows to provide a
Windows build. The wiki[0] that hosted the Windows build documentation
is now offline and there hasn't been sufficient interest from developers
with Windows knowledge to resurrect those efforts. There hasn't been a
meaningful commit to the swish-e svn repository in nearly 3 years[1].

So as is the case with many open source projects, development withers on
the vine without new volunteers.

All my efforts in the last 8 years have been toward swish3 and now
Dezi[2]. I know that libswish3 will not compile on Windows[3] and, as
with swish-e, since I don't have time or interest in that platform, I
have no plans to invest effort in that direction.

Sorry to be a downer, but there it is.

It sounds like you've made some good progress with getting swish-e to
work for you on Windows, and should you care to share your learnings
with this list, I'm sure others would benefit in the future.

cheers,
pek

[0] http://swishewiki.org/
[1] http://dev.swish-e.org/log/swish-e/trunk