[swish-e] "Not building with perl compatible regex" during ./configure

From: Dr Michael Daly <"Dr>
Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2012 23:22:53 +1100 (EST)
I am not sure how important this output line during ./configure is:
"Not building with perl compatible regex - use --with-pcre to enable"

so I downloaded and compiled pcre 8.20, again ran configure:
./configure --with-pcre=/opt/lib --prefix=/opt
(pcre was also installed with the --prefix=/opt option)

but I keep getting the "Not building with perl compatible regex - use
--with-pcre to enable"

Also, examining the Makefile shows:
PCRE_CFLAGS =
PCRE_CONFIG = no
PCRE_LIBS =
PCRE_REQUIRED_VERSION = 3.4

so using the pcre-config command I found then entered the missing info
into the Makefile, seemingly without effect as references to PCRE during
'make' were absent:
PCRE_CFLAGS = -I/opt/include
PCRE_CONFIG = /opt/bin/pcre-config
PCRE_LIBS = -L/opt/lib -lpcre
PCRE_REQUIRED_VERSION = 3.4

Because of the "PCRE_REQUIRED_VERSION = 3.4" reference, I sought out and
installed pcre version 3.4, which is over 10 years old, but got the same
warning when running ./configure.

Note that 'make' seems to run to completion.

Does anyone have any ideas? This is all running on a qnap device, perl
5.14.2 freshly compiled from source, uname -a:
Linux NASC2089B 2.6.33.2 #1 Tue Aug 16 00:31:52 CST 2011 armv5tel GNU/Linux

Thanks
Michael