Re: [swish-e] Parsing plain text emails to use the subject line as the title

From: Peter Karman <peter(at)not-real.peknet.com>
Date: Sat Mar 20 2010 - 04:29:13 GMT
Troy Wical wrote on 3/19/10 10:05 PM:

> I should clarify here. These email messages are being managed by ezmlm
> (mailing list software.)

ah ok, I see.

It really ought to be easier to crawl a filesystem of mail, which is essentially
what the maildir format is, with the extra subdir conventions.

I wrote a MailFS aggregator tonight and uploaded to CPAN just now as SWISH::Prog
0.44 (ignore 0.43 if you see that -- I forgot to register the new aggregator so
it can be used with swish3 -S).

If you want to use it before your cpan mirror syncs, you can grab from here:

http://svn.swish-e.org/perl/SWISH-Prog/trunk

You'd change your command to be:

 % swish3 -S mailfs -c file.config -i path/to/mail

> My brain is starting to hurt again, and I'm starting to doubt whether
> I can really get this environment working optimally :( The learning
> curve here for me is huge, and my lack or perl/scripting knowledge is
> rearing its head all over the place.  *sigh*  But, this is closer than
> anything anything we've had since I've started managing these
> archives. Maybe a good nights rest will help.
>
> I'll report my future stumblings. Thanks for the pointers!

thanks for working so hard. Hopefully your stumblings make it easier for
everyone in the long run.