[swish-e] Swish3 available in daily builds

From: Peter Karman <peter(at)not-real.peknet.com>
Date: Thu Oct 08 2009 - 19:14:34 GMT
Undeterred by hours wrestling with autoconf and friends, I am pleased to
announce that Swish3 is now available in daily builds[0] from swish-e.org.

I'd appreciate it if interested users would download a recent copy[1] and try
building it on their local systems. Please send any test or build failure
reports to this list.

Note there is no Windows build available yet.

If you have xapian-core[2] installed, you will also be able to have a
fully-functioning, UTF-8-aware, incremental-indexing program in swish_xapian,
which is the first Swish3 implementation available.

Perl bindings are also available in the libswish3 builds, in the bindings/perl
directory. I do hope to make the SWISH::3 package available on CPAN once I
figure out the best way to package it.

One word about versioning: I have elected to number libswish3 using the SVN rev
number as the micro-version number. This seemed like the sanest way to track
development releases until 1.0 is official. So the current build is:

0 = major
1 = minor
2546 = micro (same as r2546 in svn)
20091008 = the day the build was made

I mention this so that it is easy to see if the version you have installed is
any different from the latest daily build, since you can compare the micro
version as you would expect to, rather than just relying on the datestamp. I.e.,
the latest build might not be any different than a build from a week ago, if
there has been no svn activity.

[0] http://swish-e.org/devel/daily.html
[1] http://swish-e.org/swish-daily/libswish3-0.1.2546-20091008.tar.gz
[2] http://xapian.org/download