Re: [swish-e] Windows Set Up - Thanks

From: Peter Karman <peter(at)not-real.peknet.com>
Date: Wed Oct 07 2009 - 13:36:05 GMT
Foo JH wrote on 10/06/2009 11:15 PM:
> Peter Karman wrote:
>> FWIW, I wouldn't expect anyone to upgrade to Swish3 who didn't need
>> full UTF-8
>> support, large (1M+) doc collections or incremental indexing. Swish-e 2.4.x
>> isn't going anywhere.
>>
> In this Internet age, I would think UTF8 support is standard fare, and
> incremental indexing should solve the problem of routine reindexing?

As for UTF8, yes, it is standard fare in this age. Yet Swish-e 2.x is
(and will be) still useful with single-byte encoded documents, which
covers a lot of ground (English still being the lingua franca of the
internet).

Re: incremental indexing, yes, routine re-indexing will not be as
necessary, which should help considerably for those with large document
collections.

But Swish-e 2.x will still fill the same need/niche it does now: those
with modest collection sizes (<1million) and single-byte encodings
(ascii, latin1, etc.). My point is that upgrading to Swish3 is only
going to be useful if you need the features it offers. I expect
upgrading will come with some caveats: indexing will likely be slower,
for example. Everything has trade-offs.