Re: [swish-e] swish.cgi: Escaping special characters in $link_href

From: <u7l11ey(at)not-real.mail.lrz-muenchen.de>
Date: Thu May 14 2009 - 16:36:08 GMT
Bill Moseley wrote:

> Frankly, I have no idea why in swish.cgi there's anything associated
> with escaping.  That's needed for HTML, not for internal data.  Maybe
> because swish.cgi was a quick hack that hasn't go away.  Isn't
> search.cgi the newer, cleaner approach?

Well, I just followed the instructions in the Swish-e installation
instructions at http://swish-e.org/docs/install.html , and these point to
swish.cgi! Following these instructions lead me to a working search index
and web interface, but the links this interface generates are not usable
in an environment that is not limited to plain 7-bit ascii.

In the meantime, I found a solution using the URI::Escape module (
http://search.cpan.org/~gaas/URI-1.37/URI/Escape.pm ) which does exactly
what I need. I know practically nothing about perl, but by trial end error
I now have a working search function for my intranet website. I'm hesitant
to post my solution here because of my poor perl skills, but anyone with a
little more perl knowledge should be able to implement a publishable
solution for swish.cgi using URI::Escape.

Regards, Richard