Re: [swish-e] ANNOUNCE: 2.4.7 released

From: Roy Tennant <roytennant(at)not-real.gmail.com>
Date: Sun Apr 05 2009 - 04:52:53 GMT
Wow, amazing. I just resubscribed today, just in time to hear of the
new release. Congratulations! I need to get it installed.

Meanwhile, the reason I resubscribed is that I'm having trouble, and I
think it's because I'm doing something really brain-dead. Basically, I
have something like 2-3 million small little XML files in one
directory that I'm indexing (that's the brain-dead part). What's
happening is I'm taking an Excel spreadsheet and busting it apart into
individual XML files so I can search particular fields. Swish-e starts
out fast, indexing something like half the files in the first half
hour or so, then it gets progressively slower until it craps out all
together, after hours of (what I'm assuming) is swapping in and out of
disk.

I'm running version 2.4.5 on Ubuntu (Dapper Drake).

Conf file:

IndexDir /home/default/htdocs/proto/hathi
IndexOnly .z
IndexContents XML* .z
IndexFile hathi2.index
ReplaceRules replace "/home/default/htdocs/proto/hathi/" ""
MetaNames title rights identifier
PropertyNames title rights identifier
MetaNamesRank 10 title

Sample file:

<access>deny</access>
<rights>ic</rights>
<recnum>000056329</recnum>
<enum>1936</enum>
<source>MiU</source>
<sourcenum>000056329</sourcenum>
<oclc>12309617</oclc>
<isbn></isbn>
<issn></issn>
<lccn>05001551</lccn>
<title>Ouverture solennelle des cours.</title>
<imprint></imprint>
</record>

Unless someone has any quick fixes I think I'm ready to re-architect
this so I don't have 2-3 million files. I prefer not to do that if I
can help it, though, since Swish-e will do a better job than the
alternative I'm contemplating. Thanks,
Roy Tennant