Re: [swish-e] swish-e errors

From: Peter Karman <peter(at)not-real.peknet.com>
Date: Thu Mar 19 2009 - 01:49:20 GMT
Dustin Tenney wrote on 3/12/09 2:27 PM:
> Version: 2.4.5, also tried 2.4.6
> OS: CentOS 4, 2.6.9-78.0.5.ELsmp, x86_64
>
> We have been using swish-e quite successfully for some time.  At least
> for the last month or so it has begun to crash on us.  I suspect it has
> been happening longer.  We are using the indexes to display content and
> search results on our websites.  The indexes are probably being read a
> lot concurrently by different processes on multiple servers.  We are
> serving them via NFS to the web servers.  Here is the error we get:
>

> Warning: Failed to uncompress Property. zlib uncompress returned: -3.
> uncompressed size: 9732 buf_len: 36
>
> Warning: Failed to uncompress Property. zlib uncompress returned: -3.
> uncompressed size: 192 buf_len: 109
>
> err: Ran out of memory (could not allocate 18446744071950461278 more bytes)!
>

> Thats a lot of memory its asking for!

Those errors are red herrings, I suspect. It could be that your apache processes
are sharing index file handles when they shouldn't be, or there's some kind of
NFS weirdness going on.

I would try:

 (a) copying the index files local to each server, and
 (b) running a single apache process (no kids) to make sure the file handles are
not shared.

If you are still getting the errors then, it's something other than your
environment. But that would reduce the complexity of your setup enough to see
more clearly where the problem is or isn't.