[swish-e] Date Range search oddity

From: Bela Gazdy <bela(at)not-real.bluedog.cc.emory.edu>
Date: Tue Mar 03 2009 - 12:17:03 GMT
Hi,

NOS (New Old Swish) user here, with a unique problem:

Background:

swish-e-2.4.5 compiled on AIX 5.3 with gcc-3.3.2 (or native cc_r);
perl-5.8.2 (cc_r) with all the required modules.

Indexed hypermail (v. 2.1.7) archives in chunks, merged into one index file,
all indexing done with the same config parameters.

Symptom:

When searching for a string that has NO match in the entire index, i.e., when
selecting "Limit to: All", it returns the expected red "no results" message for
every "Limit to:" and "Date Range" selections as well; however,

When searching for a string for which "THERE IS" at least one document with a
match, i.e., the "Limit to: All" selection does return results, all other
"Limit to:" or "Date Range" selection for which "THERE IS NOT" a match in the
specified date-interval, returns the error:

	"Ran out of memory (could not allocate 0 more bytes)!"

which, in case of the swish.cgi CGI script, appears in red on the browser, while
with mod_perl, the page returns the generic "Internal Server Error" message and
the error is sent to the web server's log. All other functions work great.

That the above message appears in src/mem.c, and the fact that I wasn't able
to find any similar posts, suggest that this is related to the way _AIX_ does
_memory_ management/allocation. Note, that I tried both gcc and native cc with
the same outcome :-(

The date constraint is such a neat feature, I'd hate to disable it. Maybe,
some-one out there can help in finding the fix?

Thanks: -Bela

--
LIBRARY/SYSTEMS - EUCLID/PRIMO