Re: [swish-e] 2.4.6 for perl 5.10

From: Peter Karman <peter(at)not-real.peknet.com>
Date: Fri Feb 27 2009 - 04:33:53 GMT
Peter Karman wrote on 2/10/09 10:07 PM:
> Thomas den Braber wrote on 2/9/09 7:08 AM:
>> Peter,
>>
>> After running the bootstrap script:
>>
>> On my Ubuntu 7.10 system the error is gone now, dll's and swish-e.exe are
>> created. Also the Perl API is created.
>> But after installing the API it is very unstable, if run in my Mod_perl
>> application it make Apache crash almost every time when a index property
>> is requested. An error: Faulting application httpd.exe, version 2.2.8.0,
>> faulting module msvcrt.dll, version 7.0.3790.3959, fault address 0x0000d9de.
>> The swish-e.exe seems to run fine (only minimal tested).
>>
>> On Ubuntu 8.10 the same error about the zlib is shown.
>> I have used the precompiled zlib from zlib.net (run bootstrap again)
>> instead of the one from the swish-build archive.
>> This time, no zlib error during linking but at the end an error when
>> creating the swish-e.exe. Error:
>> /usr/lib/gcc/i586-mingw32msvc/4.2.1-sjlj/../../../../i586-mingw32msvc/bin/ld:
>> cannot find -lz
>>
>> in the usage doc of the zlib it says that you have to use -lzdll
>>
>> Can this be the problem? Where do I have to change that ?
>
> those both sound like zlib issues (the second more obviously). Alas, I have no
> idea where to set up the linking options for windows. Under a regular unix build
> you could set an envvar (LIBS I think).

It was LDFLAGS, not LIBS, but even that didn't help.

I finally got a chance to install an Ubuntu 8.10 vm with ActiveState Perl 5.10
and try this for myself. After some fiddling, I came up with a patch to
configure.in that sets the -lzdll correctly, which seems to result in a
successful build. If you 'svn up' in the rel-2.4.6 tree for swish-e, you should
get it. The patch is here:

 http://dev.swish-e.org/changeset/2264

Let me know if that works. I haven't yet actually tested the build on windows
because I couldn't seem to get the dist.sh script to complete -- likely due to
my inability to install sysutils with apt-get per swishwiki.