Re: [swish-e] incremental indexing support

From: Peter Karman <peter(at)>
Date: Thu Feb 05 2009 - 14:25:30 GMT
Foo JH wrote on 02/05/2009 05:49 AM:
>> If all you need is a local filesystem indexer for a website with 200k+ docs
>> (which I would call medium-sized -- these days folks deal with multi-million doc
>> collections), and you don't need UTF-8 or incremental indexing, Swish-e 2.4.5 is
>> about as good as it gets. Don't let its age fool you. :)
> Hi there,
> I read with interest the fact that swish-e wouldn't officially say they
> support incremental indexing. Is this likely to change in swish3?

Swish-e 2.4.x has an optional (and still flagged 'experimental')
incremental index format. It must be selected at compile time and is
incompatible with the native, non-incremental index format. There are no
plans amongst the developers to put any effort into the 2.4 incremental

Swish-e 2.6 (no official release yet) is fully incremental and uses
Berkeley DB for storage.

Swish3 (still in development) will have optional backend formats, all of
them incremental.

Peter Karman  .  peter(at)  .

Users mailing list