Re: [swish-e] Seeking to a specific docpath within a result

From: Bill Moseley <moseley(at)not-real.hank.org>
Date: Sat Dec 27 2008 - 15:32:06 GMT
On Fri, Dec 26, 2008 at 04:23:32PM -0800, Greg Saylor wrote:
> Hello,
>
> This is a bit of an odd question, I admit, but here goes:
>
> I have an internal app which offers paginated views of ever-changing data.
>  The issue is that someone will bookmark one of the pages and come back to
> it later, but by then the item they are looking for is, for example, not
> on page 4 - it is on page 8.  In this case, it is 1 item per page.  (NOTE:
> Documents are sorted by create date for this purpose).

The flaw in this is that it's not normal to link to a page that
includes ever-changing data and be surprised when it changes.  If you
linked to a search results from Google would you expect it to always
contain the same list of search results?

> I see two solutions off the top of my head:
>
> 1. Include the document id in the URL and after seeking to that page, if
> the page does not match, do not show the pagination, but at least show the
> correct document.

If it's one item per page then just fetch that item.  Not sure where a
search engine fits into this.  Just so you can show previous and next
item?

Help with Swish-e:
   http://swish-e.org/current/docs