[swish-e] Seeking to a specific docpath within a result

From: Greg Saylor <gregs(at)not-real.net-virtual.com>
Date: Sat Dec 27 2008 - 00:23:32 GMT
Hello,

This is a bit of an odd question, I admit, but here goes:

I have an internal app which offers paginated views of ever-changing data.
 The issue is that someone will bookmark one of the pages and come back to
it later, but by then the item they are looking for is, for example, not
on page 4 - it is on page 8.  In this case, it is 1 item per page.  (NOTE:
Documents are sorted by create date for this purpose).

I see two solutions off the top of my head:

1. Include the document id in the URL and after seeking to that page, if
the page does not match, do not show the pagination, but at least show the
correct document.

2. If after seeking to the page, if the document on that page does not
match, try to seek around in the index in some deterministic manner to
locate the page it is on.  This would work okay for some of the smaller
indexes, but I worry about it for the ones with 1 million+ documents.

I guess what I'm asking is: is there some other way to "seek" (within a
search result) to the page that contains a specified document
name/path/id/etc?  If not, would it be difficult to add it to the API?

- Greg