Re: [swish-e] blocking process

From: Peter Karman <peter(at)not-real.peknet.com>
Date: Mon Dec 15 2008 - 15:57:52 GMT
François Tissandier wrote on 12/15/2008 03:39 AM:
> Hello!
>
> I'm having a weird problem with my search engine. Sometimes, a search
> (or maybe several searches??) is taking ages to be complete, and it's
> blocking all the others. Most of the time, I'm just restarting the
> webserver to clear all the swish-e processes. Otherwise it can take
> minutes before a result is returned.
>
> I'm logging all the searches, and I can't find any reason why it's
> happening. If I try any of the potentially blocking searches, it's
> working fine. The server is NOT overloaded by those searches, the
> processor is not even busy when it's happening, so it does not look like
> a ressource problem.
>
> Some complementary info:
>
> -windows 2003 server
> -IIS version... 7 or 8? I don't remember
> -website in PHP
> -searches are runned using Ajax most of the time (results refreshing "on
> the fly")
>
> Except logging the searches, I don't really know where to look at. I
> don't understand why a search is blocking all the others. Is it
> impossible to run concurrent searches on an index at the same time?
>
> Is there any way to set a timeout for a search? I'm considering doing
> that to avoid those nasty freezings of the search engine, but I don't
> really know how to do this.

As you're running IIS on Windows with PHP, I am not able to offer
specific suggestions on debugging or setting timeouts. In Perl, I'd use
alarm().

I can say, however, that swish-e is designed to run many concurrent
searches on an index, and I've not yet heard of it blocking the way you
are describing. Is there any chance you have a process re-indexing and
replacing the index files while they are live?