Re: [swish-e] Symbolic Link ????

From: Peter Karman <peter(at)>
Date: Wed Dec 03 2008 - 03:05:50 GMT
Lee Anne Caputo wrote on 12/2/08 8:55 PM:
> The documents do reside on a different server.  They are NFS mounted
> as /u2/www/documents, which is this directory that I listed previously:
> drwxrwxrwx 4 10002 10001 4096 2008-10-23 16:31 documents
> The when I run my index, the index is looking at that directory because
> it has updated successfully after I ran it.
> I can search from the html page, it'll return docs by date, by filename,
> by entering certain words, etc.  But when you click on the link to the
> document,  I receive the following error:
> The requested URL /documents/docs/cap1_docs/20080617/N00000023817258/N00000023817258_stmt.pdf was not found on this server.
> I've read the documentation, and found where I need to create a symbolic
> link to the documents.  The problem I'm having is knowing what am I
> supposed to be linking to the documents. As I stated in my previous
> post, I have swish installed at /u2/www, this is also where I can access
> my remote mount (the documents) - /u2/www/documents.  What am I
> missing?

Assuming you are using Apache, what is your DocumentRoot set to? You likely need
to create a symbolic link within it to /u2/www/documents.

If for example your DocumentRoot was /var/www/html then you could do:

 % cd /var/www/html
 % ln -s /u2/www/documents documents

and make sure Options FollowSymLinks is on in your Apache config.

Peter Karman  .  .  peter(at)
Users mailing list