[swish-e] SWISH::API build problem on solaris 10

From: James B. Muir <James.B.Muir(at)not-real.Hitchcock.ORG>
Date: Fri Nov 14 2008 - 15:42:52 GMT
Hello,

I would like to report a problem encountered while making SWISH::API. An exception is being thrown in the bowels of MakeMaker.pm that is caught by the SWISH::API Makefile.PL and stops the build of SWISH::API. Whether the problem is with MakeMaker.pm or with your Makefile.PL script is unclear to me, so I leave it to the experts to determine this. My MakeMaker.pm version is 6.48, my swish-e version if 2.4.5, and perl is 5.8.8 on solaris 10. If I attempt to build SWISH::API with the Makefile.PL that originally came with swish-e I get the following:

root@dh10n # perl Makefile.orig.PL
Using swish-config found at [/usr/local/bin/swish-config]
Creating index...'/usr/local/bin/swish-e -c t/test.conf -f t/index.swish-e -v 0'

  ** ERROR: Can't call method "isa" without a package or object reference at /us
r/local/lib/perl5/5.8.8/ExtUtils/MakeMaker.pm line 125.
  Run perl Makefile.PL SWISHHELP for options

I then commented out the exception handler as follows:

root@dh10n # diff Makefile.PL Makefile.orig.PL
83,87c83,87
< #$SIG{__DIE__} = sub {
< #    print STDERR "\n  ** ERROR: ", @_;
< #    print STDERR "  Run perl Makefile.PL SWISHHELP for options\n\n";
< #    exit 1;
< #};
---
> $SIG{__DIE__} = sub {
>     print STDERR "\n  ** ERROR: ", @_;
>     print STDERR "  Run perl Makefile.PL SWISHHELP for options\n\n";
>     exit 1;
> };

Now the build seems to be working; the make file was created, and "make test" produced no errors.  So I will assume for the time being that things are OK with the SWISH::API   :-).

James Muir
Information Systems - Data Warehouse
Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center
603-653-3288