Re: [swish-e] license terms

From: Peter Karman <peter(at)not-real.peknet.com>
Date: Thu Sep 04 2008 - 04:36:25 GMT
Rajesh Parekh wrote on 9/3/08 9:14 PM:
> Thank you for the response.
>
> Well, I am confused now. If I link my website code (website would be used
> for commercial purpose) with Swish-e library and use its interface:
>
> 1. Does my website or its code come under any sort of licence terms and
> condition?
> 2. Do I need to specify Swish-e link anywhere or its logo? I visited few
> users site that uses Swish-e and I saw a reference to Swish-e
> http://sunsite.berkeley.edu/cgi-bin/search.pl. How are those websites
> different than the one that I am planing
>
> If neither of the above 2 is required, what part of Swish-e software I am
> missing?

The GPL and the Swish-e license only cover *distribution* of software. You can
do whatever you want with Swish-e on machines that you host. If you distribute a
software package that includes Swish-e, then the license comes into play. I do
not believe that the GPL (or Swish-e license) extends to software that you host
on your machines and which helps to generate HTML that you deliver via your
website(s).

Does that help?