Re: [swish-e] Javascript front-end?

From: Janet Swisher <swisher(at)not-real.enthought.com>
Date: Wed Jul 23 2008 - 15:49:29 GMT
Hi Peter,

Thanks for your response!

 > Swish-e is probably not the best route if your requirements include
client-side
 > only search + multiple architectures. I would instead look at some
pure Javascript
 > solution.

I was thinking that that was what the patched-swish-e+jsFind combination
would give me. The patch enables swish-e to output the index as XML,
which is then all that jsFind (Javascript) needs to query. No need for
swish-e itself to be delivered at all.

The down side is that the patch (for 2.4.0.2) was never incorporated
into swish-e proper, and jsFind has been orphaned.

> I seem to recall that Orielly used to ship a CD of their books with a JS search
> tool included. It may or may not be what informed this book:
>
>  http://oreilly.com/catalog/jscook/chapter/ch01.html

Thanks for the link -- I'd hadn't found this resource. The hard part,
though, is coming up with the database to query. As the chapter says "If
your site has more than a few hundred web pages, you'll probably want to
have a server-side program generate the code containing all the
records." That is what I thought swish-e could help with.

I live in a Python world, where it has now been suggested to use
BeautifulSoup <http://www.crummy.com/software/BeautifulSoup/> to extract
the words and create an index. I think that will work, albeit slowly.

--
Janet Swisher, Sr. Technical Writer
Enthought, Inc., http://www.enthought.com