Re: [swish-e] index a list of files

From: Peter Karman <peter(at)not-real.peknet.com>
Date: Wed Jul 09 2008 - 03:14:09 GMT
Brad Bauer wrote on 7/8/08 9:34 PM:
> How hard is it to update from pre 2.4?  I got the impression it would
> require quite a bit of rework to get our customizations recreated.

It depends on your customizations.

I moved from 2.2 to 2.4 back in 2003 when 2.4 came out, but I had only been
using 2.2 a short time. IIRC, the swish-e config was mostly portable, but there
were some significant changes to the library API.

> I am using -S prog with spider.pl

good.

> RE: Caching - I am attempting to avoid downloading pdfs since it is very
> time consuming compared to the fs method. (They do, after all, already exist
> on the server)  Using the spider is taking 20+ minutes for only a small
> section of the site, where as using the fs setup I am able to index the
> entire server in about 5 minutes.

that makes sense. I would take the approach I suggested before; skip the PDFs
via spider.pl, create one index of PDFs, one of spidered content, and then merge
them.