Re: [swish-e] Counts for property

From: Matt Paine <matt(at)not-real.mattsoftware.com>
Date: Wed Jul 02 2008 - 22:46:07 GMT
I must admit I don't do this specifically, but the approach I take from
getting my results from Swish-E might be of help.....

The first step I do is to index my database using a custom program, this
program basically generates a swish-e formatted record for every product
and brand in our database. The index numbers are also provided (as a
property from memory, e.g. <id>5</id>).

Of course when I index I include this in my PropertyNames and MetaNames
config. (not 100% sure which one is needed, I think Propertynames, but
it works for me in both)

I do a swish search as per normal, except I format the results back at
me with the index of the record that matches....

$main_swish_cmd = getConfig("search_swish_path") . " -w \"$search_term\"
-x '<swishreccount>:<type>:<id>\n'";

I have different types (the match could be a product, so I want to
display a pretty picture and price etc, or it could be a category, which
just needs a description, or perhaps a brand, which needs the brands
logo and a short blurb, etc) . From the swish results I can now
determine how to display each result, as well as any other properties i
need.

<this bit is where it might get interesting for you>

I usually follow this up with sql query to get the display correct. I
find with 10 results per page, 10 sql queries isn't too bad so I just
loop through the results and do an sql query on each. I would probably
recommend looping through every query and build a list of id's and then
throw one query at the database

..... untested php code .......
$id = array();
foreach ($query as $q)
    $id[] = $q->id;
$sql_categories = "SELECT count(*) as cat_count, c.name FROM products p
INNER JOIN categories c WHERE id IN " . explode(",", $id) . "GROUP BY
c.id";

Of course this would be harder for your price points, but perhaps you
would need several queries, one for each price point. (and this would be
more efficient if the results were cached anyway)

My two cents :)

When i do