Re: [swish-e] Automatic MetaNames

From: Peter Karman <peter(at)not-real.peknet.com>
Date: Sun Apr 06 2008 - 03:40:08 GMT
William M Conlon wrote on 4/4/08 5:09 PM:
> I have a list of documents to be indexed.  In addition to the
> document path, the list includes other attributes that should be
> searchable, so they need to included in the index, although they may
> not be in the document itself.
>
> My first thought was to use -S prog, with my external program reading
> each document, generating HTML to feed swish-e, and inserting <meta
> name="lanuage" content="english"> for each attribute into the <head>
> section of the HTML.

That's what I would do.

> My second thought was that swish-e needs to accept attributes that
> are fed to the indexer with the document, perhaps in  a *NEW*
> Attribute header, a la:

Would require hacking the source. And not really a good change, imo. It means
applying parsing and tokenization at the header-parsing stage, which just seems
unnecessary, especially when the MetaName feature already supports HTML or XML
tags in the document content

> And my last thought was to overload the Path-Name with the attributes
> and use ExtractPath to build metanames.

that's do-able too. But I would still use <meta> tags myself.