Re: [swish-e] Differing results for two web servers with same config but different swish-e versions

From: Peter Karman <peter(at)not-real.peknet.com>
Date: Mon Mar 31 2008 - 15:33:11 GMT
On 03/31/2008 01:46 AM, Robinson Craig wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm just trying to bring a new web server online, and I'm having some
> trouble with the results returned after indexing.
>
> The new webserver is a Solaris 10 machine (old web server is Solaris 8),
> so we've had to recompile libxml2, all the xpdf utilities and swishe-e.
> At the same time we took advantage of upgrading swish-e from 2.2.3 to
> 2.4.5.

That's a pretty big jump. I would guess that the ranking algorithm changed from 2.2 to 2.4
and that is what you are seeing. I know that 2.4.3 introduced the RankScheme feature,
which you might try setting to '1' to see if that makes a difference in your rankings.
Otherwise, you could try playing with the MetaNamesRank feature, but you'd have to monkey
with setting special MetaNames in HTML only (to affect your high PDF rankings), and I'm
still not sure that would make a drastic difference.