Re: [swish-e] Search-able Document Categories

From: Peter Karman <peter(at)>
Date: Sun Mar 16 2008 - 02:27:50 GMT
Joe Casadonte wrote on 3/14/08 4:05 PM:
> Hi,
> First day using Swish-e -- a very remarkable tool!
> I have a set of documents that I'd like to index but also categorize
> several different ways.
> For example:
> 1) the documents pertain to a version of the product (e.g. v1, v2, v3)
> 2) the documents may be relevant to one or more aspects of the product
>    (e.g. searching, algorithm, input)
> 3) the location of the document, which I want as an output field
>    (e.g. context help, use case docs, white papers)
> I would know the values for each of three categories for each document
> as it's being indexed.  I just don't know how to tell the indexer
> about them, or how to limit searches on them.

try expressing your document metadata (location, product aspects, product
version, etc) as XML. Then you add each XML piece to each doc, either at
aggregation time and/or via a -S prog script, and configure Swish-e to treat
those XML 'fields' as MetaNames and PropertyNames.

The docs will tell you how to configure MetaNames and PropertyNames.
Peter Karman  .  .  peter(at)
Users mailing list