Re: [swish-e] How do I index via HTTP when authentication is

From: Peter Karman <peter(at)not-real.peknet.com>
Date: Thu Feb 21 2008 - 19:10:59 GMT
On 02/21/2008 12:58 PM, Adam Douglas wrote:
>> Try logging in using your web browser and inspect cookies --
>> you'll see that the cookies pertain to the domain, and that
>> https and http are two distinct domains.
>
> There is indeed the cookie present for the domain I'm using
> blowfish.venmarces.com. Ahh I've never seen two different cookies based
> on if https or http is used. It would be just based on the cookie name.
> The domain however would not change and does not change. The use of the
> cookie works perfectly fine outside of Swishe weather its http or https.
> The swishe user is now logging into the site when I try to index the
> authenticated side of the web site. It appears to be working but was
> just asking if indeed it was by looking at the output it returned to me,
> http://www.venmarces.com/swishe-spidering-output.txt.

the standard behaviour for browsers is to respect the secure flag set on cookies, and only
send cookies to https sites where the secure flag is set, and vice versa (send cookies to
http sites only if secure is off). So Bill is correct: http and https should be considered
 'separate domains' wrt cookies. (The word 'domain' is overloaded -- think of it as a base
url if that is more helpful.)

> Not sure I'm following here as to what your trying to find. Swishe is
> indexing now just can't via https due to a Perl issue I believe but no
> clue how to resolve it. If I change the SwishSpiderConfig to use https I
> can this error message as shown below. No this module is not showing up
> when I list installed Perl modules. However when I attempt to install
> "cpan -i LWP::Protocol::https" or "cpan -i LWP::Protocol' I get a
> response that its up to date. "LWP::Protocol::https::Socket".

you likely need Net::SSLeay installed. IIRC, you tried that previously and had some trouble.