Re: [swish-e] How do I index via HTTP when authentication is required?

From: Adam Douglas <ADouglas(at)not-real.venmarces.com>
Date: Wed Jan 23 2008 - 19:32:52 GMT
Hi Peter. Thanks for the reply and pointing this out as I did not see
this information. However it appears after reading what you have pointed
out that Swish-E only supports Basic Authentication correct? If so that
would not work then that I know of, as in my case authentication is done
via a web form and then handled server side using PHP/MySQL with the use
of a cookie on the client side to maintain the client's session until
logout.

Is there any other way? I do realize I could provide the username and
password via the URL to the form, however this is dangerous and
presently the form only accepts via POST not GET. I believe when a
username and password is provided as query string this is treated as a
GET.

Any further ideas or suggestions?

Best,
Adam

>> Hi. I have been able to index the public side of my website. However
>> how do I index via HTTP for the private side of the web site that
>> requires authentication? I'm using prog to do this as suggested by
the
>> Swish-E documentation. I don't understand where I would provide
>> Swish-E the username and password to authenticate so it can index the

>> private side of the website. Since I've used a web page (PHP) to do
>> the authentication I can not provide the username and password via
the
>> URL that I provide Swish-E.
>
>http://swish-e.org/docs/spider.html
>
>and look for 'authentication' 'password' 'credentials' ...

This message (including any attachments) is intended only for
the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed and
may contain information that is non-public, proprietary,
privileged, confidential, and exempt from disclosure under
applicable law or may constitute as attorney work product.
that any use, dissemination, distribution, or copying of this
communication in error, notify us immediately by telephone and
(i) destroy this message if a facsimile or (ii) delete this message
immediately if this is an electronic communication.

Thank you.