Re: [swish-e] -D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64

From: Peter Karman <peter(at)not-real.peknet.com>
Date: Mon Dec 03 2007 - 01:14:35 GMT
J Robinson wrote on 11/27/07 3:37 PM:
> Hello, All:
>
> I was hoping that the swish-e developers could make the
> large file support options
>   (  -D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 )
>  the default for the next version of swish-e.
>
> I've been using those flags on swish-e since august 2005.
>
> Thoughts?
> jrobinson

I have made a first pass at auto-detecting the need for those compiler options
as of r1967 in swish-e/trunk (that's the 2.5.x leg).

As I understand it, those options are needed only if the platform and filesystem
on which you are compiling have 2 ways of accessing files: small (default) and
large. So on the fedora core 4 i386 p3 box I just tested on, I got this in my
./configure output:

checking for special C compiler options needed for large files... no
checking for _FILE_OFFSET_BITS value needed for large files... 64
checking for _LARGE_FILES value needed for large files... no
configure: fileoffset bits = 64

and the relevant -D opts were automatically enabled.

While on my OSX 10.4 MBP, I got:

checking for special C compiler options needed for large files... no
checking for _FILE_OFFSET_BITS value needed for large files... no
checking for _LARGE_FILES value needed for large files... no
configure: fileoffset bits = no

and the relevant -D opts were ignored (the default).

Please have a play with svn or a nightly build created after tonight, and see
what works (and what does not) for you.

thanks.