Re: [swish-e] HOWTO - integrating Mailman with a Swish-e search engine

From: Peter Karman <peter(at)>
Date: Fri Nov 30 2007 - 14:18:52 GMT
On 11/29/2007 11:29 PM, Dr Michael Daly wrote:
> Hi
> Can this be adapted to index email i.e. email that stays on the server?

iirc, you are asking about the ability to index mail that you normally access via IMAP or
some web client like squirrelmail.

yes, you could set up a cron to index the mail, and a cgi (or similar) to search it,
either adapting a hypermail/pipermail conversion script or similar. The issue becomes how
you might integrate the search results with your email client. I.e., you can find a
message, but then what?

I posted about this project the other day:
**(NOTE: I am actively redesigning the API for SWISH::Prog)**

I use that to index my maildir folders on my mail server, then copy the indexes to my
local machine to search. It's not particularly polished -- again, integrating the search
results in a seamless way with a mail client would be ideal. Something like squirrelmail
or the like would be a prime candidate.

A quick google search tells me squirrelmail has some kind of searching features. Perhaps
post to their list?

Peter Karman  .  peter(at)  .

Users mailing list