Re: [swish-e] HOWTO - integrating Mailman with a Swish-e search engine

From: Tomasz Chmielewski <mangoo(at)>
Date: Fri Nov 30 2007 - 08:47:55 GMT
Peter Karman schrieb:
> Tomasz Chmielewski wrote on 11/29/07 6:04 PM:
>> Let me know what you think about it.
> nice.
> fwiw, the mail archive at is also searchable with mailman+swish-e,
> though we use a slightly different set up.
> it'd be nice if you didn't comment out the 'powered by' blurb in the search
> results template. Or maybe replace it with a sexier img from
> -- but of course, that's up to you.

This "integration" with Mailman results in this: the swish.cgi has to
render on Mailman pages (i.e., on The results page will be
available on

It will have two different swish.cgis, because the one on Mailman pages
should not add <body>, <html> etc.

I decided to remove the 'powered by' from the pages where Swish is
integrated with a Mailman page. Why?

Just compare these two pages (the second doesn't have "powered by" removed):

IMO, the "powered by" and W3C HTML take too much space when placed on
Mailman's pages. Also, Mailman doesn't make 100% valid HTML :)
Still, it has the SWISH-E logo.

On the results page: I didn't remove any
logos etc. - it just looks OK there.

Tomasz Chmielewski
Users mailing list