Re: [swish-e] (null) problem - yes, I've read the FAQ

From: Tomasz Chmielewski <mangoo(at)>
Date: Tue Nov 27 2007 - 08:19:25 GMT
Peter Karman schrieb:

>>> So, I read the fine manual, and the solution was easy - add this to the
>>> config file, and reindex:
>>>    StoreDescription HTML* <body> 2000
>>> So I reindexed, the (null) entries are gone, but nothing shows up
>>> instead. According to the documentation: "That tells swish to store the
>>> first 200,000 characters of text extracted from the body of each
>>> document parsed by the HTML parser".
>>> 2000 characters are enough for me - but it just doesn't show anything.
>>> Am I doing anything wrong?
>> Looks like adding:
>> IndexContents HTML .html
>> did the trick ;)
>> (perhaps adding that directive to that (null) FAQ entry would help new
>> users?).
> outlines both of the common issues you've hit on. Is that what you were reading?

Not really.
Here is a FAQ for swish.cgi:

While following this point removes the "(null)", it doesn't say why one
should insert "IndexContents HTML* <body> 2000".
On that very page, "IndexContents HTML..." is only mentioned in the
"Spidering" part - but I would normally couple spidering with web
crawling, not the local disk crawling.

So perhaps
should just say to add "IndexContents HTML* <body> 2000" (or,
"IndexContents HTML* <pre> 2000" if one wants to use swish-e with
mailman). Alternatively, this pay should say something like:

   If you solved your (null) problem, but still you don't see the first
   characters in your search results, you're missing IndexContents
   directive - see
   for more info.

BTW, is there a document anywhere on integrating swish-e with mailman?
If not, I'm perhaps willing to write one.

Tomasz Chmielewski
Users mailing list