[swish-e] Empty index error in an index that isn't empty

From: Thomas R. Bruce <trb2(at)not-real.cornell.edu>
Date: Tue Sep 18 2007 - 09:34:04 GMT
Folks:

I'm getting empty index errors from an index that isn't empty.  Here's
what I know about the problem.

a) What changed?  The search apparatus is constructed in Mason, using
mod_perl and the swish-e perl API.  We recently upgraded mod_perl and
Mason, with some difficulty.

b) However, there are six or seven similar collections on the same
machine, separately indexed, and all the others are operating fine using
the same code, so it is unlikely that the mod_perl or Mason setups are
at fault.  It is possible that the broken index is the only one that has
been reindexed since the change in the perl scaffolding.

c) Command line searches work fine, as do searches using the API from
inside perl scripts run from the command line, as do searches of other
indices from within the world of mod_perl.

d) The index returns sensible things in response to swish-e -T whatever
when run from the command line.

e) Permissions on the index files are wide open.

It looks for all the world like it might be a library mismatch problem,
given the symptoms, but I can't figure out why it would show up in only
one index of many that are searched with the same code.  I suppose the
most helpful thing would be to know under what circumstances swish-e
throws the empty index error, aside from when indexes are empty (grin).

Best,
Tb.