Re: [swish-e] Ranking Trouble

From: Bill Moseley <moseley(at)not-real.hank.org>
Date: Wed Jun 06 2007 - 06:01:30 GMT
On Tue, Jun 05, 2007 at 12:19:01PM -0500, Joshua Sowin wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've been using swish-e for a large website for about a year now but we're
> having some major ranking problems. For instance, we have a product called
> "When I Don't Desire God" and it uses that exact name in the title and h1.
> You'd think it would be the first result when someone types that EXACT
> phrase in (with or without quotes), but without quotes it's not even on the
> first page! Things that are comparatively unrelated come up, because they
> have the word "god" in them a number of times, but do not have the requested
> search phrase anywhere.

Ya, without quotes it's just a search for docs with those words.  This
has come up before on the list.  If you watch search logs you see that
multi-word searches are often indeed phrases.  Swish knows word
position so for non-quoted phrase searches it might be useful (and not
too hard to implement) a way to take into consideration how close the
search words are together in a document, as you suggest.  But even
that would be crude compared to what we expect from modern search
engines.

The harder part is finding someone to write the code.  It would
be a nice graduate student project.  Maybe I said that before:

http://swish-e.org/search/index.html?query=%22graduate+student%22

Help with Swish-e:
   http://swish-e.org/current/docs