[swish-e] Using SWISH-E with Mailman ... now with RSS feeds

From: Jordan Hayes <jmhayes(at)not-real.speakeasy.net>
Date: Tue May 08 2007 - 17:28:31 GMT
I have a page about my integration of Mailman and SWISH-E here:

http://infothecary.org/jordan/mailman.html

I've been doing this for a while, but I realized the other day that I
could use the indexes to produce an RSS feed for the mailing list!  I
wrote up some details about it (scroll down, it's near the end) and
included a link to download the code -- it's only ~100 lines, have fun.
Someone could probably do something similar in Perl or whatnot.

One thing stumped me, though: what's a simple way to query "all
documents" ...?  I made up a query that I think will never return any
documents and put "not" in front of it.  Is there a more straightforward
way of doing this?  Maybe this should be an FAQ.

One interesting twist on the RSS generator is that you can integrate it
with a search, to get a "subset feed" -- you can search on From: and
Subject: lines as well as searching the body of the messages ... on a
high-volume list, this might come in handy; I give a few examples on the
page, plus point you to a list that has support for it built-in that you
can play with if you like.

/jordan