Re: [swish-e] Using Swish-E to index many different file types?

From: Jon Spriggs <jon(at)not-real.spriggs.org.uk>
Date: Mon Apr 16 2007 - 08:08:07 GMT
On 16/04/07, Peter Karman <peter@peknet.com> wrote:

> Jon Spriggs scribbled on 4/15/07 3:33 PM:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I was pointed in this application's direction by a friend of mine to try
> > and
> > help another friend with some file recovery...
> >
> > In essence, about a week ago, the hard disk of a friends machine was
> > formatted before some critical documents were transferred to another
> > media... I ran PhotoRec from CGSecurity, which has recovered about 7Gb
> of
> > data with various filenames, including the document types as file
> > extensions.
> >
> > I've transferred these files into directories organised by file
> extension,
> > but now I need some way to render the data with some form of index...
> >
> > Is there some template of a config file which covers all the supported
> file
> > extensions (e.g. PDF, DOC, XLS, MP3, TXT) that I could use to make this
> > data
> > available back to my friend?
> >
> > I've never used Swish before, and so I'm pretty lost! I've read the "how
> > index anything" article mentioned on the website, and have downloaded
> > catdoc
> > and xls2csv, so... please can someone help?
> >

> well, this is a new one on me.
>
> You're on Windows?
>
> It's not clear to me what you're trying to do. "render the data with some
> form
> of index" -- that is pretty vague.
>
> Swish-e isn't going to help you recover your data. It can only tell you
> what
> terms (words) are in each file. You have the data already it seems; are
> you just
> trying to make it easy to search that data (files)?
>
> If you just want to index the data, try using the DirTree.pl script in the
> distribution. It'll use SWISH::Filter and that should recognize most
> common file
> types.

Hi Peter,

Thanks for the prompt response. Although I use Windows for my day-to-day
work requirements, all my home machines are running various releases of
Linux.

The data has been recovered already, and has been saved to an external hard
disk plugged into a machine running Fedora Core 5, and it is a FAT32
partition.

Thanks for the pointer to DirTree.pl - that was exactly what I was after!
Now all I need to do is give my friend an interface to that data... Is there
a PHP or Perl script I can run to retrieve data from the index?

Regards,

Jon