Re: [swish-e] How to be compliant

From: <goran(at)not-real.krampe.se>
Date: Wed Mar 21 2007 - 13:13:01 GMT
Hi!

Peter Karman <peter@peknet.com> wrote:
> > 2. Bundle binary only files in our win32 Gjallar zip AND explain in
> > Readme that Gjallar uses Swish-e version x unmodified and that src is
> > available at <URL> and point to swish-e.org for more info.
>
> I think that #2 meets the terms of the GPL license section 3 subsection c. You
> are distributing executable copies of the program, using an unmodified version,
> and IIRC the windows swish-e version includes with it a copy of the COPYING
> (GPL) file, which dictates that the source is available.

Ok, but if I understood you correctly - it is ok if we do not include
the actual source and instead point to our server where the pristine
original source and binary distribution files are located (copied from
swish-e.org)?

Btw, this is only in order to keep the download in trim - I don't mind
bundling the source too in theory. In fact, the source for Swish-e is
pretty small now that I look more closely...

> > 3. Also put Swish-e logo into the "Sys info" page inside Gjallar.
>
> that would be cool, but above and beyond the license of course. :)

Yeah, sure. :)

> > Btw, bundling binary files is something we would only do for the Win32
> > download for Gjallar. And soonish we will also offer an NSIS installer
> > for Win32 and the same would go for that.
>
> Am I understanding that this Gjallar is a Win32 project only? Then I think
> you're covered.

Gjallar is definitely not Win32 only but it is only for Win32 that we
want to disitribute Gjallar with "everything included" to give the
developers/users playing with it the least hassle.

The Linux/Unix crowd is a different audience and for them we instead
include instructions to install/build Swish-e (and graphviz and one or
more things).

regards, Göran