Re: SWISH-e 2.4.4 RPMs for Fedora Core 6

From: Peter Karman <peter(at)not-real.peknet.com>
Date: Thu Jan 11 2007 - 15:36:45 GMT
> On 1/10/07, Simon A Wilper wrote:
>> Ladies and Gentlemen,
>>
>> I am a big fan of SWISH-e and running a Fedora Core 6 Linux.
>> Unfortunately there are no SWISH-e 2.4.4 RPMs in the etras nor freshrpms
>> nor livna repositories.
>>
>> Now I would like to ask whether I may package the latest SWISH-e version
>> that happens to be 2.4.4 and host it on my site.

Simon,

I am a FC user too, and I think it's great that you are volunteering to create
and host RPMs. Thanks.

I would suggest you wait a week or two and create 2.4.5 RPMs instead. We are
finishing up some details and hope to get that release out soon.

2.4.4 has some bugs in it that I would rather not see propagated out in
something like an RPM.

 > James scribbled on 1/11/07 3:42 AM:
>
> Just follow the GNU GPL and you'll be okay to do what you've asked.
> Swish-e is open source.
>
> Here's a link: http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/gpl.html
>
> And here's more info:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNU_General_Public_License (and, with
> regards to Swish-e, make sure to read the section, "GPL-related
> disputes")
>
> As a rule with open source, go to the actual license on GNU.ORG and
> don't believe everything else you read - even on Swish-e.org (
> http://swish-e.org/license.html ).

As a rule with open source, read the license that comes with the software.

James (though I'm sure well-intentioned) offers wrong advice on this. The
Swish-e license is *not* the standard GPL. It is a modified GPL, using a special
clause that GNU lists in their own FAQ.

This is the Swish-e license:
http://swish-e.org/license.html

Believe it.

And in regard to the Wikipedia article regarding GPL-related disputes, see
http://swish-e.org/license.html#faq especially the FAQ #1.

That said, the Swish-e license is totally compatible with creating and
re-distributing RPMs.