Re: User-Agent: Mozilla/2.0 and Mozilla/5.0 (compatible

From: James <swish.enhanced(at)not-real.gmail.com>
Date: Wed Jan 10 2007 - 16:05:48 GMT
On 1/10/07, Peter Karman <peter@peknet.com> wrote:

> James scribbled on 1/10/07 9:43 AM:
> > On 1/10/07, Peter Karman <peter@peknet.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> James scribbled on 1/10/07 9:26 AM:

> >> gecko is a rendering engine. it powers mozilla, firefox, etc.
> >>
> >> you could write your own gecko-based spider and feed the output to swish-e. But
> >> I don't think Bill or I have any plans to do that ourselves, since we don't have
> >> a need.
> >
> > Is Swish-e only based on the needs of you two men, or everyone that
> > uses it?  I would say that it is based on all of your users and not
> > you two men.
> >

> Seems to me that as an open source project, Swish-e is based on the code that
> folks contribute to it. If you have an itch, scratch it. Then share your
> solution. That's the open source model as I understand it.

Understood.

> Or if you don't have the means (time, money, skills) to write the code yourself,
> consider asking/paying/bribing/cajoling someone with the means to do it for you.
> That's the human model, as I understand it.

Understood.

> > Who's asking you to turn Swish-e into Google?  Personally, I have lost
> > tons of respect for Google in the last couple years.  So, that's not
> > the point.  The point is to make Swish-e's spider as powerful and/or
> > as discerning.
> >

> Is that the point? I guess I had missed that point.
>
> James, to be honest, your tone is abrasive. It makes me want to take my marbles
> and go home. Swish-e (like all open source projects) is a volunteer effort.
> Sure, some of us get crabby when we haven't had our coffee yet, but mostly we
> get crabby when folks we don't know start taking a tone of demanding things. If
> you want to get things done in the world, in my experience, demanding things of
> volunteers is not going to work.

Where is the abrasiveness?  I have been polite.  I am not demanding
anything.  I am simply asking questions, trying to get a better
understanding of Swish-e, so that either A) I can make needed changes,
or B) I can pay someone to come up with a solution for me.

Bill, however, has been downright rude and filthy.  Coffee has nothing
to do with it.  Don't come to the keyboard and start spewing sarcasm
and filth.  Respond to people with respect, when you (I am mainly
referring to Bill) are capable of doing so.

> Reminds me of that great Beatles song. Especially the 2nd verse:
>
>   http://www.lyrics007.com/The%20Beatles%20Lyrics/Revolution%20Lyrics.html
>
> peace out, brother.
>
> --
> Peter Karman