Re: User-Agent: Mozilla/2.0 and Mozilla/5.0 (compatible

From: James <swish.enhanced(at)not-real.gmail.com>
Date: Wed Jan 10 2007 - 15:45:53 GMT
On 1/10/07, Bill Moseley <moseley@hank.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 10, 2007 at 07:14:01AM -0800, James wrote:
> > So, you think that it is a case of them just putting that information
> > into their user / server agent string to trick the server into
> > thinking they are viewing through a browser?  That's an interesting
> > thought.  So, maybe they aren't running any spiders through browsers.
> > Or is it still possible that they do run the spider through a browser?
>
> The user agent string is just sent with a request.  The server can
> decided what to do with it -- the vast majority ignore it.  That's
> what I'd recommend doing, too.

Understood.

> Do you have an actual problem with this?  I mean, do you know for a
> *fact* (not because you guess so) that some server is not sending you
> a document based on the user agent string?  Have you discussed this
> with that site's admin?

No problem, except that I am thinking that the Gecko based spider
probably is more powerful and filters out more garbage (like the
hidden text issues).

> Even if you do have a real problem, then just set the agent string.  I
> think we covered how to do that now.

I've already done it and tested it - my new user agent / server agent
are working well.  So, that's not the issue.

> --
> Bill Moseley

Thanks for your time,

James