Re: Swish-e Spider and Following Image-based Links

From: James <swish.enhanced(at)not-real.gmail.com>
Date: Wed Jan 10 2007 - 15:06:03 GMT
On 1/10/07, Peter Karman wrote:

> James scribbled on 1/10/07 8:40 AM:
> >
> > On 1/10/07, Peter Karman wrote:
> >>
> >> James scribbled on 1/10/07 7:13 AM:

> >> I would guess that the reason the spider ignores the src attribute of img tags
> >> is that images are assumed to be non-text, and Swish-e only handles text.
> >
> > Peter, I would imagine you are correct.  But, why are other bots, like
> > the ones that Google, MSN and Yahoo use, able to follow the links?  Is
> > there a way for the Swish-e spider to simply recognize that a link is
> > in the HTML and follow it?  Or how do other bots handle it?
>
> It would be most helpful if you provided an example of the HTML that is not
> behaving the way you expect it to.

Set-up an HTML page, such as your main index page, with an image based
link into the rest of the site, with no alt tag and you have your
example.  Swish-e won't follow it.  So, what I am asking is, how can
the spider code be tweaked to get it to follow the link that is
actually in the HTML.

> --
> Peter Karman

Thanks for your time,