Re: Swish-e Spider and Following Image-based Links

From: Bill Moseley <moseley(at)not-real.hank.org>
Date: Wed Jan 10 2007 - 14:07:05 GMT
On Wed, Jan 10, 2007 at 05:09:18AM -0800, James wrote:
> Good morning!
>
> I have a question.  Is it possible to tweak the Swish-e spider so that it
> will follow image-based links, even if the image does not have an alt tag?
> I realize that having the alt tags are the standard, so don't misunderstand
> me.  However, we all know that a lot of web-masters (professional and
> novice) don't use alt tags, even for image-based links and the Swish-e
> spider doesn't seem to follow those image-based links without the alt tags.

Are you sure about that?  Did you test before posting?

> (On a side note, do you have any idea why the Swish-e spider may follow a
> link to a pdf and index it and then at other times not?  I am talking about
> regular HTML based links to pdfs that have no protection on them.  And, yes,
> I do have the xpdf package installed.)

You want some guesses?  Eh, how about the pdf is an image?  Or you are
using a windows server and pdf is set to be text/html?  Or the pdf
contains no text?  The pdf is a version not supported by xpdf?  Or you
have a failing disk drive?  User configuration error?