Indexing protected area

From: Lesley Walker <lesley.walker(at)not-real.opus.co.nz>
Date: Thu Dec 07 2006 - 00:43:15 GMT
Apologies if this a FAQ, but I can't see the answer anywhere obvious.

Is it still true that Swish-e can't index password protected pages as
described in this detailed comparison report?
http://www.searchtools.com/analysis/free-search-engine-comparison.html

I need to index pages that are protected by htaccess files, and I'm
wondering if I can do it reasonably easily with the currently-installed
Swish-e (version 2.4.3) or will I have to install htdig?

(I know there is a newer version of Swish-e, but this server is one of the
last to be upgraded from Debian 3.0 to 3.1, and we don't have a 3.0
development server any more to do the build on, so I'm not keen to update
any software)

Web server is Apache 1.3.33 if that matters.

Thanks,
Lesley W

--
Lesley Walker