Re: Thanks for the effort

From: David L Norris <dave(at)not-real.webaugur.com>
Date: Wed Sep 06 2006 - 17:34:04 GMT
On Tue, 2006-09-05 at 23:53 -0700, Foo JH wrote:
> I also notice that the last release is some 2 years back - 17 Dec 2004
> to be exact. I think we need to swish-e to remain relevant, and maybe
> take advantage new technologies/ platforms.

I think this past year or so we've each been busier than in the past.
We had talked about a release last year but we just never found the time
to coordinate it.

> To the maintainers/ developers of swish-e: any hints of when the next
> release will be out?

In preparation for 2.4.4 I made a test build for Windows. I'd certainly
appreciate any feedback on problems that might be in the C code.  The
Perl API is not included in this build.

Anyone who wants to test it can extract the zip archive as c:\swish-e:
http://www.webaugur.com/wares/files/swish-e/swish-e-2.5.4-2006-09-03-win32.zip

The zip archive includes the following (built from source with mingw32):
  swish-e 2.5.4 (current CVS as of 2006-09-03)
  zlib 1.2.3
  libxml2 2.6.26
  pcre 6.7
  catdoc 0.94.2 (native Windows port of catdoc, catppt, xls2csv)
  portions of xpdf 3.01 (pdftotext, pdfinfo)

The final 2.4.4 release will include the usual self-extracting
installer.  This was just a quick build to ensure that all of the latest
versions of the dependencies build and work properly.  PCRE 6.7 was
problematic as they don't maintain an official Windows port.

But I'm especially interested to know if catdoc is functioning properly.
As usual, I had to patch catdoc considerably to run native on Windows.
I once said I'd include Wv instead of catdoc.  However some people
apparently rely on catdoc.  And since there's no official Windows
version (and apparently never will be) of catdoc I'll continue to
include a native Windows port.  I may also provide Wv or something
similar which offers broader support for Microsoft Office documents.

--
 David L Norris
  http://webaugur.com/