Re: Indexing .asp files using fs - file system method

From: Michael Peters <mpeters(at)not-real.plusthree.com>
Date: Wed Aug 16 2006 - 12:35:33 GMT
Sean wrote:
> Any suggestions for how to exclude asp code from being indexed when
> using the fs - file system method.

Use a filter.

> I thought of using grep and a fancy regular expression to extract just
> the html bits from the asp, but the regex is a bit beyond me.

I don't think a real regex will work. ASP is a turing complete language, so a
regular expression is not powerful enough to handle all real-world cases. If you
used Perl, you could do it with a Perl regex (they are actually not really
regexes any more since they are much more powerful). Else make a full parser in
whatever language you're more comfortable in.

But in reality, whatever you decide to do will probably not handle the edge
cases nearly as well as the actual ASP server. Why do you want to use the FS
method instead of spidering?

--
Michael Peters
Developer