Re: PropertyNameAlias question

From: Bill Moseley <moseley(at)not-real.hank.org>
Date: Tue Aug 15 2006 - 21:29:40 GMT
On Tue, Aug 15, 2006 at 02:22:55PM -0700, Gertjan Hofman wrote:
> Dear Bill,
>
> Thanks for your rapid feedback. You are of course
> right. However, I have a minor excuse.
>
> p. 75 of sec 4.1.5 in the manual (definition of
> Metanames keyword) states:
> "Metanames swishtitle
> This will ...under the internal METANAME swishtitle.."

Right.  That allows searching by metaname.

> p. 85 of sec 4.1.5 says under the defintion of
> PropertyNameALias:
> "This allows an alias for ....
> PropertyNameAlias swishtitle title titel titulo
> "

Right, that's aliasing it as a property.

> Since I recalled that swishtitle was a metaname (p75)
> and it is being used in the example for
> PropertyNameAlias (p85), I looked no further. I guess
> I am still confused by the 'duality' of swishtitle as
> a metaname and property.

A property is text that is stored in the index that you want back
during search results.  It's a property that displays the title of
the document in search results.

If you want to be able to search by title then you use a metaname.
Then swish indexes the title words in its index and you can search
documents by title words.