Re: not ignoring content (leave those files alone!)

From: Bill Moseley <moseley(at)not-real.hank.org>
Date: Mon Jun 12 2006 - 03:10:26 GMT
On Sun, Jun 11, 2006 at 01:51:30PM -0700, Linda W. (that's swishey, not squishey!) wrote:
> 	Maybe NoContents would be better named "FileMetaOnly" -- that
> makes it clear that the file may be scanned by the default scanner for HTML
> tags?

  FileMetaOnly is clearer than NoContents?

It would be cool to have a system that when you installed it the user
was profiled and the documentation and configuration was updated to
match the users idea of what makes sense.

The docs say that NoContents still parses html docs.  It doesn't give
explicit instructions how to tell swish what files are html docs.
When spidering, the spider tells swish what files are html.  Using
the file system you use IndexContents.

> 	Looked through all of them before writing my first conf file.
> At some point the nomenclature for conf files reads "config".  I found
> this a bit confusing.  With the main config file being referred to as
> swish.conf, I str8away looked for *.conf.  Didn't pick up the examples
> in the config dir until later examination...

What are you saying there?  That you couldn't figure out that
"config" means "configuration" or that a configuration file might be
named .conf?  (I often name my swish-e config files "c".)  Or that
the documentation was not prepared by a professional staff of
technical writers?

I am not arguing that the docs (documentation) are perfect by any
means, far from it, but that info is there. The INSTALL doc
tells you to look in the conf directory for examples.

GENERAL CONFIGURATION AND USAGE
    This section should give you a basic overview of indexing and searching
    with Swish-e. Other examples can be found in the "conf" directory; these
    will step you through a number of different configurations. Also, please
    review the SWISH-FAQ.

> 	Seems like it has been a while since the last release.  Is that
> 	expected
> to remain the same in the near future or do you think there will be more
> frequent releases coming up?

Yes, swish is due for a release.

Are frequent releases a good indicator or a bad one?