Re: economy mode

From: Bill Moseley <moseley(at)not-real.hank.org>
Date: Sun Apr 02 2006 - 16:52:21 GMT
On Sun, Apr 02, 2006 at 09:21:03AM -0700, Eric Lease Morgan wrote:
> There is *a lot* of disk I/O going on. It pains me to listen to it.
> What is swish-e doing and when might it be done?

Swish has to keep track of what words it has seen and in what
document and in which position.  Without -e that happens in memory,
but uses quite a bit of memory.  And if you run out of ram you are
sunk.  Moving it to disk saves the ram at the cost of the disk
accesses.  Jose designed the -e feature, so he might be able to offer
more details.  I think he's too busy these days to monitor this list.

An algorithm redesign is probably what's needed to improve this much.