Re: Catdoc application errors and versions

From: Sean <schliden(at)not-real.gmail.com>
Date: Tue Mar 21 2006 - 01:29:20 GMT
David,

Thanks for your reply.

I had considered using Wv however I am concerned that ceratin users
have reported that it is 4 or 5 times slower than catdoc.

After much stuffing around (mainly with batch files) I have come up
with a solution that may be of intrest to others.

I downloaded the latest version of catdoc from here:

http://ftp.45.free.net/pub/catdoc/catdoc-0.94.2.zip

and wrote a batch file that invokes the dos only version of catdoc
after converting any windows long filenames to short names using %~si

So In my config file I now call a batch file something like this:

FileFilter .doc catdoclog.bat '-s8859-1 -d8859-1 "%p"'

and in the batch file "catdoclog.bat" I invoke catdoc like this:

\lib\swish-e\catdoc.exe %~s3

(~s does the work of expanding the parameter %3 to contain short names only)

I also found that this version of catdoc 0.94 does not require
source/destination charset options and actually reports errors:
"catdoc: no such file or directory" when they are passed.

The other positive of using the intermediate batch file is that it
allows me to log files as they are indexed (which can be helpful for
debugging):

echo %3 >> .\log\document_filter.log

Anyway, hope this of use to someone.

Cheers