Re: Catdoc application errors and versions

From: David L Norris <dave(at)not-real.webaugur.com>
Date: Sat Mar 18 2006 - 15:35:55 GMT
On Fri, 2006-03-17 at 22:20 -0800, Sean wrote:
> Anyway, in my reading, I have noticed that dave offers win32 binaries
> of catdoc on the webaugur.com website.

Primarily since it's a modified version of the original and I have to
provide source code...

> The problem is that none of the versions of catdoc seem to have
> versioning information in them and I am not sure which is the
> best/latest/most likely to work correctly.

The catdoc version included with Swish-e is the latest version I've
ported to Windows.  That version is 0.93 and can be found here along
with source:
  http://webaugur.com/wares/files/catdoc-0.93-win32.zip

> Any suggestions as to the best version of catdoc that will support
> long filenames.

My suggestion would be to try to use something like Wv instead of catdoc
if you can.  Wv is actively maintained by one of the Abiword developers
(although the utilities are deprecated) and is available for Windows:
  http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/gnuwin32/wv-1.0.2.exe?download

There are other alternatives that use Microsoft office if you have it
installed on that system.  You should be able to find references to them
in the list archives:
  http://swish-e.org/discuss.html

--
 David L Norris