"/lib/cpp" fails sanity check?

From: Brendan Jones <brendan.jones(at)not-real.optusnet.com.au>
Date: Sun Feb 12 2006 - 12:33:27 GMT
Hi,

I'm a returnee to this list, having last subscribed in 1998!  I am
migrating a commercial website to a new webhosting provider, and while
I'm doing that, I thought I should upgrade the version of swish that
the site uses.  But I've struck problems.

The webhosting server runs Linux with Kernel version 2.6.9-5.0.3.ELsmp,
Apache 1.3.34 and Perl 5.8.7.  Because I do not own the host, I cannot
install as root, so I've created 'build' and 'local' directories in
$HOME.  Also I've checked that all the perl modules recommended have
been installed on the remote host.  So far so good.

This is what happens:

# ../swish-e-2.4.3/configure --prefix=$HOME/local
checking for gawk... gawk
checking build system type... i686-pc-linux-gnulibc1
checking host system type... i686-pc-linux-gnulibc1
checking for gcc... gcc
checking for suffix of executables...
checking whether gcc accepts -g... yes
checking for a sed that does not truncate output... /bin/sed
checking for egrep... grep -E
checking for ld used by gcc... /usr/bin/ld
checking if the linker (/usr/bin/ld) is GNU ld... yes
checking for /usr/bin/ld option to reload object files... -r
checking for BSD-compatible nm... /usr/bin/nm -B
checking whether ln -s works... yes
checking how to recognise dependent libraries... pass_all
checking how to run the C preprocessor... /lib/cpp
configure: error: C preprocessor "/lib/cpp" fails sanity check
See `config.log' for more details.

You can look at config.log in full at
http://members.optusnet.com.au/~brendan.jones/config.log.  Go to line
729 of the log where it says "configure:4028: error: C preprocessor
"/lib/cpp" fails sanity check".

While I am reasonably unix-literate, I am not a sysadmin, so config.log
is not very illuminating to me.  I really need some tips to work out
whether the problem is me, or the webhosting server, and if the latter,
how do I persuade them to change their linux build? (laughs)

PS.  I have already checked the archive of this list, and a similar
problem was reported by a user in 2003.  Some of the things suggested
to check were:

$ which xml2-config
/usr/bin/xml2-config  (INSTALL says it should list
"$HOME/local/bin/xml2-config" ??)

$ rpmverify cpp
S.5.....    /usr/bin/cpp
S.5.....    /usr/libexec/gcc/i386-redhat-linux/3.4.3/cc1

$ rpmverify gcc
S.5.....    /usr/bin/gcc
S.5.....    /usr/bin/gcov
S.5.....    /usr/bin/i386-redhat-linux-gcc
S.5.....    /usr/bin/protoize
S.5.....    /usr/bin/unprotoize
S.5.....    /usr/libexec/gcc/i386-redhat-linux/3.4.3/collect2

That looks OK to me, but I don't really know.

Appreciate any guidance!!

Thanks,
--
Brendan Jones